Peter Obi Biography, Politics and Career
Peter Obi is a Nigerian politician and former governor of Anambra State. He was born on 19 July 1961 in Onitsha, Anambra State. He attended Christ the King College, which was located in his hometown. In the year 1980 he was admitted to the University of Nigeria Nsukka, from which he graduated with a B A (Hons) in philosophy in 1984. He is currently the chairman of Nigeria Security and Exchange Commission
Peter Obi went to so many businesses school to study business, he took the chief Executive Program at Lagos Business School took courses on Mid to Mid Marketing and Changing the Game at Harvard Business School, went to the London School of Economics to study Business Policy and Financial Management and many more. He also attended Cambridge and Oxford’s business schools for Advanced Leadership Programs.
Peter Obi has held important position he has been in or work at over the years. He held this position at Fidelity Bank Future Views Securities, Paymaster Nigeria and Next International. As a matter of fact, a lot of you might know him as Peter Obi, Fidelity Bank’s youngest chairperson. He was also director at Guardian Express Bank, Charms Nigeria, Emerging Capital and Card Center.
Before Peter Obi decided to into politics he has had a solid background in business.
In 2003 Peter Obi stood in the Anambra State governorship election as candidate for the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) party but he lost to his opponent Chris Ngige of the People’s Democratic Party.
Three year later Chris Ngige victory was overturned by the Court of Appeal on 15 March 2006 Which made Obi took office on 17 March 2006. Seven month later Peter Obi was impeached by the state house of assembly which was on the On 2 November 2006 and he was replaced the next day by Virginia Etiaba, his deputy, making her the first ever female Governor in Nigeria’s history. Obi successfully challenged his impeachment and was re-instated as the governor on 9 February 2007 by the Court of Appeal sitting in Enugu.
On May 29 2007 Peter Obi left office following the general elections, which Andy Uba won Obi returned to the courts once more, this time contending that the four-year tenure he had won in the 2003 elections only started to run when he took office in March 2006. On 14 June 2007 the Supreme Court of Nigeria upheld Obi’s contention and returned Obi to office. This brought to an abrupt end the tenure of Obi’s successor, Andy Uba whose April 14, 2007 election the Supreme Court nullified on the grounds that Obi’s four-year tenure should have remained undisturbed until March 2010.
After reaching the end of his tenure in 2010, Obi was re-elected for the second term, which lasted until 2014. Willie Obiano succeeded him.
Peter obi has so many achievements we list some of those achievements below
Peter Obi’s achievements
- Sun Newspaper’s Man of the Year (2007);
- Thisday Newspaper’s Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria (2009)
- Champion Newspaper’s Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor (2009);
- West Africa ICT Development Award for Governor of the Year (2010);
- Zik Leadership Prize (2011);
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria (2012);
- Ezeife Leadership Foundation’s Leadership and Good Governance Award (2012);
- Methodist Church of Nigeria’s Golden Award on Prudence (2012);
- Business Hallmark Newspaper’s Man of the Year (2012);
- Silverbird’s Man of the Year (2013);
- The Voice Newspaper’s Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance (2014);
- Champion Newspaper’s Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade (2014);
- Nigerian Library Association’s Golden Merit Award (2014);
- Catholic Diocese of Onitsha’s Golden Jubilee Award (2015).
Peter Obi’s Wife and Children
In the year 1992, Peter Obi got married to his wife Margaret Brownson Usen, and they have been together ever since. Ghey have been happliy married for the pass 25 year.
They have two kids, Their firstborn, Gabriella Nwamaka Frances Obi, was born soon after they got married soon after they got a baby boy named , Gregory Peter Oseloka Obi.
You can drop your comment on the comment box and we will get back to sa soon as we can. Thanks